Wednesday, December 17, 2008

IKEBANA


Yesterday my friend Yoko invited me to her Ikebana show. As a sensei, of Ikebana many of her students had created beautiful floral designs that were on display in the Riverwalk area of Kitakyushu. I love flowers, so naturally, I was excited to attend. I have included afew pictures that I hope you will enjoy.
Ikebana was first introduced to Japan in the 7th century by Chinese Buddhist missionaries, who had formalized a ritual, offering of flowers to Buddah. It is an artform based on the harmony of simple linear construction, the appreciation of the subtle beauty of flowers and natural material( branches and stems) .
In it's highest form, ikebana is spiritual and philosophical in nature. In modern Japan , it is practised, as a sign of refinement. I quess , I have a lot to learn, because in ZaaArt of floral arranging, I use way too many flowers .

No comments: